6 years ago
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
A piece of my childhood . . .
. . . gone today. I remember moving to Seattle the summer before 7th grade. And I remember his voice on the TV as I unpacked my room. Comfort. I remember jumping up and down 2 years later as he lead us through the Mariners most sensational season. Joy. From “My Oh My, Get out the rye bread and mustard Grandma, it’s grand salami time!, Fly Away, to “Swung on and Belted!” Dave Niehaus, catch phrases and all, IS the voice of summer in Seattle. Consistency. I remember watching the Mariners game during a rare Seattle earthquake and he kept on announcing. Solid. Dave Niehaus broadcast all but about 100 of the clubs’ 5,385 games since being hired by the Mariners in 1977. I am so very sad today that my boy’s won’t have the same Dave Niehaus announcing games for them. Someone said, “They’ll have their own.” But no one will be able to replace the voice of summer, the constant in an ever changing life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment