Sunday, February 08, 2009

Feeling fortunate when the unfortunate happens.

Last week was enlightening to say the least, some I can share, other moments that affected me beyond what I thought was possible will have to stay secret. I will share this though, with hopes that it makes you value the here and now, and the people you count closest like I discovered this week.

Long story short, I'm back working at the insurance office, selling life, health etc etc . . . I have worked there for 5+yrs now, on and off, and have found that while I don't "know" all our clients, I do know of their lives, their children, there ups and downs, loss of jobs, health issues, new homes, new children, new cars, loss of a home, car accidents, fires, floods, and now and again the unfortunate death. Last week was one of those weeks. 

A 50 something woman, thought to be healthy, called her husband at lunch time to tell him she wasn't feeling well. She asked him if he would come home on his lunch hour. When he arrived, he found she had already called an ambulance and claimed she was feeling out of sorts. She walked into the ambulance, they drove to the hospital, no sirens, no speeding, relatively uneventful. . . and then she flat lined in the parking lot of the hospital and never regained consciousness. She leaves behind a devastated husband who depended on her for everything, and two sons that are my age. Gone, just - like - that. 

I found myself grieving for their loss. Knowing that had that happened to my own family I too would feel like so much was left unsaid. Often I think things during the day that go unrelayed to my loved ones, out of pure laziness or lack of "just the right way" to say something. I still don't have the words I would say to everyone I love if I only had till lunchtime. 

I do know this though, that I feel more fortunate for today than I did for last week, more fortunate for just another day with the ones I love. I will no longer waste minutes analyzing what could have, should have or would have.  I will stop fixing and start living in the moment and appreciating all that I have instead of fighting what just is. I owe that to myself and to the ones I love. 

I will value the here and now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You couldn't have said that better Renee! My co-workers mom walked into the hospital for a 6 hour surgery 2 weeks ago..was supposed to be discharged 2 days after surgery. The family let her go last friday, she was so young (early 50's), the worst part is that my friend is only 26! She left behind my friend and her husband and she was the one the family leaned on. It makes you realize just how precious life is and how much you love your family and friends! Always cherish the moments you have...because it could be gone in an instant.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! The past 2 months have really been helping me to count my blessings and focus on not taking life and loved ones for granted. I would LOVE to live each and every day of my life with that in mind. LOVE ONE ANOTHER.